College Application Institute
Time & Location
About The Event
COLLEGE APPLICATION INSTITUTE. SUMMER 2018
This week-long session is designed for rising seniors from DC, MD and VA public and private schools who want to complete college applications before school starts and benefit from professional application help at a lower price point
SCHEDULE: July 31st - August 3rd, Tuesday - Friday, from 2.30 PM to 4.30 PM
During the 4 days of College Application Institute students will:
• Complete Common Application:
Work to complete the entire Common Application
• Prepare Common App Main Essay:
Leave with an edited draft of the essay and ideas for supplemental writings
• Create Academics, Activity and Achievements Inventory:
Sum up high school results, awards, activities and extras in an effective student resume
• Get College-Career-Major Search Advice:
Understand the important strategies and tools
• Ace College Interview:
Learn strong interview tips and techniques
• Receive a Personalised Application Binder:
Leave with a complete set of college application resources, including application master timeline, parents and student senior year action plan, scholarships and financial aid application guides, and more
Prior to the 4-day College Application Institute students will receive:
• Student & Parents Questionnaire:
To be completed and returned to us together with academic records
• Professional Review and Advice:
Have students’ academic records and activity profiles reviewed by a college counseling professional
• Personal Consultation:
Meet one-on-one with Priority College Advising prior to the Common Application Institute for a personal family orientation session and an advice on the entire college planning and application process
• e-Copy Of:
College Planning and Admissions Resource Guide
Space is strictly limited so that participating students can receive individualised attention before and during the program
Why attend? So many good reasons!
1. Want a jump-start on the admissions process before school is back in September? – Seniors need to focus on their academic work during the fall semester. For many students, these grades can make or break their chances of admission and academic scholarships. Furthermore, many students are involved in sports, extracurricular activities, clubs during the school year, leaving almost no time for the many hours involved in crafting a polished essay and applications. Therefore, it is useful and practical to finish as much of the process as possible over this summer
2. Need guidance from admissions, career and essays experts? – College application process is serious and very complicated, and many students and parents simply don’t know where and how to begin. They need guidance and professional advice from competent and sensitive counselors. Often students make mistakes when tackling applications on their own, irreparably hurting their chances of college admission
3. Determined to increase your likelihood of admission, financial aid and merit scholarships? – October 1 of senior year is now the date when families can start submitting their federal financial aid forms. This has led to early fall deadlines for many college admissions and scholarship programs. Don’t be late! Grants from colleges are regularly awarded on a first come, first serve basis
4. Would like to elevate stress at home? – The college application process can be ambiguous, conflicting and nerve-wracking for parents and students alike. By handing the reins to professionals, parents can see clarity and rest assured that the process is under control while potential conflicts are defused
5. Want to save money on college application process? – Save over 50% by working in a small group rather than in one on one college counseling sessions
6. Want to get motivated and inspired? – Come and have fun, we make sure to include games, media clips, college related lotteries and other exciting activities. Even the most demanding tasks seem more enjoyable if you are doing them with friends. Bring and register your best friend, classmate or a neighbour!
COLLEGE APPLICATION INSTITUTE
- Who should attend?
This Summer session is exclusively for rising seniors ready to complete their college applications before the school year starts (juniors, we have workshops that will open soon for you to get a jumpstart, if you are interested). The program will be particularly of use to students with an anticipated busy fall schedule (rehearsals, performances, athletic trainings and competitions, language weekend schools, etc.). Also, for those who would like to apply “early action” or “early decision,” and those who are hoping to receive financial aid and merit scholarships
- When and where?
The College Application Institute will take place from 2:00 pm to 4.30 pm, Tuesday through Friday, July 31, 2018 through August 3, 2018. Sessions will begin promptly at 2.00 pm, so please plan to arrive by 1:45 each day to get settled. No makeup classes will be given. All sessions are held at the Metaphor Academic Center located at 7000 Arlington Boulevard, Falls Church, Virginia 22042. The center is air-conditioned and has Wi-Fi
- What to bring?
A laptop, pen, paper and a list of colleges where you plan to apply. What is your teaching style? We will use a combination of PowerPoint presentations, videos, discussions, hands-on activities and games like “Admissions Jeopardy” (including prizes!) Student to instructor ratio 5:1
- Will there be homework?
Yes, upon registration, students and parents will be given a homework assignment to be completed and returned to us together with your academic records. In addition, students will have homework assignments during the study week related to drafting their essay, editing resume and completing common application
- What is the Common Application and what are the Common App schools?
Over 700 colleges and universities in the United States and several international schools use the Common Application. With one application form, one main essay and possible supplemental essays (depending on each school), seniors can apply to multiple colleges easily. A list of participating colleges can be found at www.commonapp.org
- Who are the instructors?
- What academic records should I send and how?
Upon registration, participants will be sent an Information and Emergency Form with complete instructions for sending us your academic records, a list of awards and activities, and your student and parent questionnaire
- What is the cost?
The cost of the Common Application Institute is $850 and includes all programming, materials, snacks, a personalized, pre-Institute assessment of each student’s academic record, interests and educational preferences, and a personal consultation (in person or electronic based on distance and scheduling) regarding the student’s college application strategy. Cost does not include travel expenses or lodging for students coming from a distance. A full payment of $850 is expected upon registration by July 10th by check to Priority College at 11013 Wickshire Way, Rockville, MD 20852. There is a $50 discount for referring a friend and bringing a sibling. The payment is non-refundable, but is transferrable to another student. Once you register, we will send you an invoice for payment. Your space is reserved when we receive your payment in full.